Friday, September 14, 2007

Urban Myth ?

This tickled my funny bone, I have to share it with the world !!!!!!

Blogged by: Andrew Stroehlein

Though normally a news junkie, I do try to dry out a bit during holidays with my family -- which of course leaves me catching up on events somewhat when I return. I find it hard to believe, however, that it took me until the end of the first week of September before I learned about what is probably the most important story out of Iraq since the invasion and easily the best conflict-related news quote of 2007 so far.
How could I have missed UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer saying, "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the [Basra] area."
That’s right: for a brief moment back in July, badgers -- the other white meat -- were believed to be the British military’s secret weapon in and around the southern Iraqi city. Perhaps they’d been genetically enhanced to seek and destroy insurgents. Maybe it was precisely because the ferocious furry beasts were in place that the British felt their forces could withdraw from Basra safely.
In fact, local rumours grew beyond all rationality after indigenous "honey badgers" had apparently become more numerous around Basra, perhaps driven towards the city after the reflooding of marshland to the north. As the Director of Basra's veterinary hospital told AFP: "Talk that this animal was brought by the British forces is incorrect and unscientific."
Still, for the UK, the rumours highlighted a problem. I mean, you really have to start reconsidering your position if the local population suspects your forces of attacking them with imported badgers. Doesn’t say a whole lot for the old hearts-and-minds campaign, eh?

No comments: